What is Mental Health and How should we maintain it? How much it is important?
Mental Health is the absence of mental illness and it includes emotional, behavioral, psychological, and/or social well being. Mental Health is as important as physical health. Mental health is very important in every stage of life.
It affects our behavior, moods, and feelings. According to Positive Psychology, Mental Health can be stated as the ability of an individual to enjoy life and balanced the life activities with the efforts for achieving Psychological Resilience. World Health Organization (WHO)’s Mental Health includes autonomy, perceived self efficiency, subjective well-being, competence, emotional potential and intellectual, and inter-generational dependence.
It is also important for how we deal with our stressors and make choices. Your cognition, behavior, and mood can also affect by your mental health. Many factors are included in mental health.
- Mental Health of Family (Family history).
- Biological Factors, Genes, biochemistry of brain.
- Different types of life experiences, Trauma, abuse, etc.
Mental Health problems are common nowadays but most people don’t take it seriously. They think if they will go for a mental health check-up, people call them Mental or Mad. They should not follow the social norms.
Mental Health and Mental illness
Mental health is the successful functioning of brain performing tasks, take part in activities, adjustable in the environment , cope with diversity, fulfilling the relationship with people, socially connected.
Mental illness is dysfunctioning of the brain included mental disorders, mostly distress, irregular behavior, mood, or behavior alteration rapidly. They both are continuous concepts. Some people with good health may also have a mental illness. Someone has poor mental health with no illness.
Mental Health problems have different causes:
- childhood trauma
- Death of love ones
- Relationship problems
- Mood Disorder
- Self-harm, suicidal thoughts
- Learning disabilities
Some early warning signs:
- Having unexplained aches or pains
- Thinking of harming others
- Getting Far from people
- Feelings of ignoring like nothing matters
- Having a weak immune system like no energy
- Fighting without reason with close ones.
- Excessive use of alcohol, smoking, and drinking.
- Irregular eating or sleeping patterns.
- Feeling upset, worried, forget about things.
- Severe mood swings
- Believing in those things that are not true.
- Mostly not able to perform daily life tasks.
Mental Health And Wellness
If mental health is well and good the person lives a very bright life. They can easily deal with any type of situation. They very help full for their communities. They always do productive work or activities. They can cope with stressful conditions. They use their full energy.
How to maintain your mental health
- Stay connected with positive people.
- Always try to think positively.
- Neglect Negative thoughts.
- Helping others.
- Stay physically active.
- Develop some good skills for coping.
If you have mental health problem than it’s ok it’s not an embarrassing thing. You can visit your Psychologist, Psychiatrist, therapist. A social worker can also help to maintain your mental health. Psychologists, Therapists, Psychiatrists, healthcare professionalist can help through different treatments like counseling, therapy, or medication.